Wednesday, November 19, 2008

LATEST UPDATE (Nov. 24) on Starbucks Closure in Al Zour - Kuwait

Just a short update to advise everyone on the recent closure of the new Starbucks in Al Zour (Kuwait). As you can see from the above photo, a temporary wooden door has been erected over the existing glass door entryway. There are absolutely NO signs anywhere explaining what is going on leaving us to depend upon any hear-say/scuttlebutt that we can run across. A colleague says he actually talked to the Kuwaiti owner of the franchise and this owner alleges the store was closed because some critical paperwork had not been filed and / or that certain "considerations" had not been paid to the appropriate people. My colleague says he hopes to visit the owner during this weekend and maybe obtain more details about the closure. Naturally, all of us expats in the immediate vicinity are hoping this store's closure is temporary. Again, I am sure many folks who read this posting are likely to laugh and say "just get over it". Still, when one is far away from home, one needs as many comforts of home as possible and the loss of any such "comfort" is always upsetting ... and a great incentive for us expats to speculate and come up with all sorts of "explanations" and theories. Stay tuned ....


LATEST UPDATE (November 24th - Monday): It's confirmed that the reason for the closure is a simple licensing fee! Some licensing paperwork (and fee) needs to be processed and - hopefully - our little lovely local Starbucks is supposed to reopen "in a week".

Ron - a loyal follower from Canada - asks if there is a Tim Horton's coffee shop here in Kuwait. Sadly, I have NOT encountered any such coffee places, Ron! However, there are several Costa Coffee, Second Cup and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf stores around the area here ... in addition to the dozens of Starbucks.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Are there any Tim Horton's around? (Sorry, I'm Canadian, and in Canada, we worship Tim Horton's like Americans do with Starbucks!) Thanks for the update.

Liza said...

As a lover of all things Starbucks, I cry for you.

I can't tell you how much I would hate it if all the Starbucks closed here in Texas. I'd have to move!

Maybe!

But it would really irk me. I have a lot of fond memories of that tasty tasty, addictive corporation, I so love. =)

I hope it opens up soon!