Monday, February 23, 2009

First Weekend in Kuwait (Feb 20 & 21)

Too much to do and not enough time to get it all done!! I am lucky to have managed to get into town this past weekend at all! My colleague is a workaholic and worked the entire weekend. Me on the other hand - slacker that I am - needed my time off and after a rather stressful Thursday at the office, well, I simply wanted to get away from it all. Friday was devoted to my weekly grocery shopping followed by a visit to one of my favorite restaurant venues - the Crown Plaza Hotel in Farwaniyah where I had the Friday seafood buffet. Sadly, service was spotty but at least the food was great. I had my usual Hammour fish - excellent local fish from the Arabian Gulf. On Saturday I ventured into Fahaheel, stopped by Mr. Bank (aka the ATM) and got more cash (exchanged about 735 Dirhams left over from my last trip to Dubai for 51 Kuwait Dinars). Then to my favorite 'bootleg' DVD shop where I purchased Mall Cop, Rachael Getting Married and Gran Torino for 1 KD each (ca. $3.75 USD). On the way back to camp, I stopped by Starbucks where I was saddened to learn that the local Starbucks nearest our Al Zour camp is not likely to reopen!! Here is the latest scuttlebutt: the Al Zour Starbucks - which was open for only two (2) months - was promptly closed by the local authorities for what appears to be a licensing issue. Word on the street has it that the licensing authorities want to squeeze the current owner to give up the franchise and hand it over to them so they can operate it! I've heard that similar shenanigans often occur in other countries, namely, that when a business gets successful and makes money, someone squeezes the owner and makes him give it over to them. Awful way to do business. I will keep everyone posted as to what happens on this issue. Yeah this is all a tad melodramatic but, hey, that is what passes for news around here!!

Today is Monday and we have a three-day work week. Wednesday is Kuwait National Day and Thursday is Liberation Day (or is it the other way around??). Since Friday and Saturday is the normal weekend, that means I have four days off!! Yippee!! (Boss: If you read this, don't worry, I will work at home over the long weekend .... promise!)


On the way home from Wafra: Sheep and goats have the right-of-way!

A herdsman does his job, moving his flock across and then off the road as quickly as possible.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh, interesting, my daughter is in the army in Kuwait. Her photos look a lot like yours!