Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Vacation in New York City and Long Island

Greetings Loyal Followers! I have just returned from what has been a short but welcome respite from my work-a-day environment. I had the good fortune to visit two friends in the New York area whom I have known now for fifty (50) years!! I first met these two friends of mine in fourth grade and the three of us went to school together through our senior year in high school. Despite a long interval when we lost contact with each other, we've since managed to keep in touch for many of the past several years.

I arrived on Thursday (June 11) into New York's aging LaGuardia airport and drove 45 miles out to Long Island. Friday was primarily devoted to visiting my alma mater where I had spent four years in college. In addition, my friend and I saw the new movie "The Taking of Pelham 123". An excellent movie by the way!

On Saturday, I rode the Long Island Railroad into Penn Station [located in mid-town Manhattan] and the three of us took in the new Broadway play "9 to 5" - a remake of the 1970's movie. Excellent play, well worth seeing.

Sunday was spent touring Eastern Long Island and going through two little towns: Sag Harbor and Southampton.

A vacations is always fun, naturally. It gives me time to relax and forget about work. But the most important part of this particular vacation was seeing my two classmate friends again and celebrating the fifty years we have known each other. I have posted a few photos here for now but I promise will post many more pictures in the coming few days as time permits. (After all, I am back at the "rock pile" here at work and spare time is quite limited.)

Times Square in New York City - "Crossroads of the World"

The celebrated ball that drops on New Year's Eve, officially marking the start of the new year. I was surprised to see it still on display in mid-June!

Broadway and 42nd Street! Times Square - thought by many to be the center of New York City.

A recent innovation of Mayor Bloomberg - part of Broadway is now closed off and has been converted into a pedestrian mall. The city has even provided some lawn chairs for folks to lounge in. I sat in one and marveled at being able to sit in the middle of Broadway - normally a very busy thoroughfare in mid-town Manhattan.

One lucky fellow enjoying a snooze.

2 comments:

John said...

50 years! That's a long time.

Anonymous said...

yes,agree
http://www.dsmartburada.com/