Saturday, October 23, 2010

Autumn at Home - But Getting Ready to Travel!

Autumn in Houston! The high temperatures of the summer have vanished - mostly. The humidity is lower and the Holidays are approaching. And, after spending a month at home-sweet-home, I must soon pack up my suitcase and get ready to travel overseas yet again.

Earlier this week I attended a meeting on the 40th floor of one of our company's two downtown buildings. This building has a history behind it: about a decade ago, Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling ran Enron from this same building and these two crooks had their executive offices on the same floor as where I took this picture of the Houston skyline. Naturally their offices are long gone (as is the company Enron which went bankrupt many years ago forcing the layoffs of hundreds of good employees). After my company bought up the former Enron headquarters building (reportedly for a fraction of its original cost and with some tax abatements thrown in by the city of Houston), we redesigned the entire building. Now the 40th floor is used only for meeting rooms. Still, this floor offers a vantage point which gives visitors one of the BEST views of downtown Houston anywhere! And to think that Enron conducted all its financial scams from this same floor just a few short years ago, well, its an amazing turn of events.

Fall in Houston! Yes, the above photo may appear to be a little silly but the it is the best I can come up with on short notice. I mean it to represent the changing of the seasons and the approaching end to yet another year that has simply FLOWN by so fast!
.
As always, thanks for following my blog and please take time to leave comments!
.
In a few days I expect to leave home again and hope to resume posting from that location as time permits. Until then, happy travels!

2 comments:

Hindsfeet said...

Hi TC : ) So where are you off to this time? My travels usually consist of driving about an hour and a half up the road to the mountains, comin up for air up there........just got back today already longing to return......

....looking forward to you regaling us with your experiences, TC....always cool to have this window into worlds that, well, at least as far as I can see down the road, remain a bit out of my reach....

Safe travels, TC.....all the best....

peace peace peace,
Hindsfeet

chemist said...

Hindsfeet:

Hello Hindsfeet! I should be off later today for another Middle Eastern 'adventure'. This time, however, along with the usual work, I am scheduled to deliver two (2) presentations at two different professional society meetings. So at least I can have some diversions. I will do my best to keep everyone posted as this trip progresses. Tonight's flight is NOT on Lufthansa. I was getting tired of using that carrier so many times. This time around I've managed to book my flight on another airline. Hint: it will be non-stop from Houston and it is supposed to last about 14 hours!

Traveling Chemist

And as always - THANK YOU for stopping by and leaving a comment!