Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Singapore, Java, Kalimantan (Borneo) and Bali! October 2011

As I prepare this post about my trip to Indonesia in the Fall of this year, I have just completed another trip to Kuwait (November 14 - December 2). One of the troubles with all these trips is that I find myself so BUSY, that I cannot devote all the time I used to expend in preparing almost daily posts as a trip unfolds. Instead, I now seem to be able to only issue a summary post after-the-fact .... sometimes long after the trip is concluded. This particular trip started on October 4. I flew Continental 7 from Houston IAH to Narita, Tokyo and connected to a United flight (upgraded to First Class!) bound for Singapore. On this stopover in Singapore, I elected to stay at the new St. Regis Hotel. Wonderful hotel - highly recommended!

The following Monday (October 10) I flew to Jakarta (on the island of Java) for an overnight stay. Then it was on to Balikpapan and Lawe Lawe on Kalimantan Island - or Borneo as we in the West often refer to this Indonesian island.

On Saturday (October 15) it was back to Jakarta for a week's worth of work. Part of the time on Java was devoted to a short visit to our company's geothermal facility in Salak (west Java). Very interesting: this property is located within a national park and thanks to its high elevation, there was no need to use air conditioning in the accommodations.

Finally, with all my work completed, I managed to tack on five days of pleasure and vacation in Bali (October 21 - 25). The flight home began on October 26 with an overnight stay in Singapore and then the long flight home the following day.

I shall keep this post short and will try to issue a longer, more detailed follow-up posting of this visit to Indonesia later on - probably in the latter half of this month when I plan to take off three weeks and remain at home for the Christmas Holiday (and stay away from airports!!!).

Enjoy the photos!
A rice terrace in Bali (near Ubud).


A colorful mosque near Lawe Lawe on the island of Kalimantan (Borneo).


This tea garden is located near Salak on the western side of Java. My first ever visit to an actual functioning tea garden!!!




On my 5-day layover in Singapore, I managed to visit Sentosa Island and took in the dolphin show.


More photos of this October trip should follow in a few weeks - - - - I hope!!

4 comments:

morlab said...

Do you happen to be in RPE? That's only group out of Houston with Chemists that I can think of... I'm on a 1 year loan assignment from ILT in Malongo right now as the lab consultant.

chemist said...

Morlab:

Oooo ... good guess! I know the Malongo laboratory well! I stopped by at the lab while on my last visits. The fellow chemists there do a fine job in providing us with reliable analytical support. Enjoy your assignment. I assume you are rotational (28-28)? I can't wait for my next trip over yonder.

Traveling Chemist

morlab said...

Yes, I am rotational and will be back at my job at RTC in July.

Ronnie Finance Ltd said...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for funds to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain funds for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get a funds at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this cash/funds for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via Email: markthomasfinanceltd@gmail.com

Whats-App no +919667837169
Dr. Mark Thomas

FILL AND RETURN.
Name: ===
Amount needed: ===
Duration: ==
Country: ==
Purpose: ===
Mobile phone number: ==

markthomasfinanceltd@gmail.com
Whats-App no +919667837169
Dr. Mark Thomas