Friday, June 13, 2008

Read Any Good Travel Books Lately??

Just a short post to share three of my favorite "travel books" that I believe you fellow travelers out there in the blogosphere will also appreciate:

(1) First choice: Around the World in 80 Days by Michale Palin (also in VHS tape);
(2) Second: A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle;
(3) Third: War Journal: My Five Years in Iraq by Richard Engel - this is a new book that I am still reading (I'm up to Chapter Eighteen). Even though I have not yet finished reading this book, it is Excellent. I suspect part of the reason I like it has to do with the fact that I frequently travel to Kuwait and work in a location which is a mere 100 miles from the Kuwait-Iraq border! It also presents an accurate, unbiased account of what the Iraq (aka this generation's Vietnam) mess is really like. I strongly recommned this book.















If anyone has some favorites they wish to share, feel free to post a note.

PS: I forgot to mention one other "book"; my diary!! Everyone who travels a lot or goes a long way from home should try to maintain a personal diary. It will make for some very interesting reading when you are retired, no longer travel and want to refresh your memory about the "good 'ol days" when you were visiting all those far flung places around the globe. Just a suggestion!!

1 comment:

Steve said...

Hello T.C.,

You mentioned keeping a journal (diary) - I might point out that I have kept one since early 1969 (writing something EVERY day). Mine chronicled the travels I made prior to you "taking" my place; other "discussions" over the years included such topics as AVA (remember that), "ladder charts", mergers, Pennzoil suits, etc. Of course, the usual family happenings were also detailed...good idea, everyone should keep a journal just for "historical purposes".